The Gigabit City project is focused on providing the planning, policies and community buy-in necessary to ensure sufficient, cost-effective and reliable bandwidth for next-generation networks – including Mobile and Internet of Things. The ultimate goal is to expand broadband and specifically gigabit access in Huntington for the purpose of creating jobs, improving personal and community opportunities, enhancing the City’s reputation, promotion economic development, spurring private investment and facilitation the delivery of essential services to our citizens now and into the future.
Key initiatives involve the following, all of which are catalytic:
- Utilize a consultant to develop a utility plan that includes laying conduit for fiber
- Secure pole rights for fiber attachments
- Pass a One Touch Make Ready (OTMR) ordinance, guidelines or policy which allows one pre-approved crew to make one trip to a utility pole and move all wires at once.
- Proactively embrace HB 3093 and work with the Broadband Enhancement Council to establish the policies and procedures necessary to utilize micro-teaching and OTMR in the Huntington area.
- Document and design all work in this area to stand up to legal scrutiny
- Create an RFP to design a potential network
- Document and map existing community broadband assets
- Streamline City regulations and permitting processes
- Educate key stakeholders in the community on the value of broadband
MOST RECENT PROGRESS
UPDATE: After the big $3M win, where’s the money going?
Huntington to Tap Unused Broadcast Frequencies for Free WiFi
The award money, as well as any funds donated from individuals/businesses/organizations, is given to the Foundation for the Tri-State Community, our region’s community foundation that controls the allocation of the funds to the projects as required by competition parameters.
Donations may also be made by check. Please make payable to The Foundation for the Tri-State Community, Inc. and mail to:
Foundation for the Tri-State Community, Inc.
916 5th Avenue, Suite 403
P.O. Box 7932
Huntington, WV 25779-7932
Please put "ABC Fund" as well as the specific project name in the memo line.