H-Biz – Highlawn Area-Wide Business Plan
The H-Biz project is designed to acquire, remediate and redevelop three separate parcels of land totaling about 75 acres of former industrial land on 3rd Avenue and the Ohio River. The redevelopment will be in partnership with Marshall University and includes research and advanced manufacturing facilities and other amenities in a campus-like setting. Huntington was awarded $600,000 dollars in EPA grants to do Phase I assessments on the parcels and create an area-wide plan for redevelopment. The plan has been completed and assessments are being finalized at this time. To date, $1,425,000 has been raised to accomplish the plan.
Key initiatives involve the following:
- Acquisition and clean-up of the three parcels of land which anticipates applying for additional EPA grant funds
- The development of 379,000 sq. ft of mixed-use development, including a hotel and conference center – possibly academic buildings or student housing; 181,000 sq. ft of advanced manufacturing expansion; 97,300 sq. ft of retail; and 400,00 sq. ft of green parks, open space, athletic and recreational facilities including a baseball stadium for Marshall University and connections to the Paul Ambrose Trail for Health (PATH)
- Re-designing streets within the development to create the most seamless movement possible and that meshes with Marshall University and the Highlawn neighborhood.
- The development of streetscaping and traffic calming for 3rd Avenue and redeveloped street grids
- A plan for green stormwater management
MOST RECENT PROGRESS
City moving forward with Highlawn Brownfield development
Brownfields project: Highlawn residents have big dreams
Huntington Brownfields Innovation Zone
Huntington receives $800,000 grant to clean up brownfields
The award money, as well as any funds donated from individuals/businesses/organizations, is given to the Foundation for the Tri-State Community, our region’s community foundation that controls the allocation of the funds to the projects as required by competition parameters.
Donations may also be made by check. Please make payable to The Foundation for the Tri-State Community, Inc. and mail to:
Foundation for the Tri-State Community, Inc.
916 5th Avenue, Suite 403
P.O. Box 7932
Huntington, WV 25779-7932
Please put "ABC Fund" as well as the specific project name in the memo line.