Home Occupation Permit

A Home Occupation Permit is required for any business operated in a residence. The home occupation must be permitted according to the Section 1341.22 of the City of Huntington Zoning Ordinance.  The home occupation is also required to register the business with both the State and obtain a City of Huntington Business License.

1) Make appointment to meet with the Planning and Zoning office to check requirements and signage. 

a. Planning Technician: Penlyn Crawford
b. Department: Planning and Development
c. Phone: 304.696.5540 ext. 2091
d. Email: crawfordp@huntingtonwv.gov
e. Location:  City Hall, Main Floor, Room 2

2) Obtain and complete the City of Huntington Home Occupation application.

a. Please refer to the City of Huntington code Section 1341.22 for the types of  occupations that are permitted in your home

3) Submit the application to the Planning and Zoning office.

a. Location:  City Hall, Main Floor, Room 2
b. The cost of the permit is a yearly fee of $15

4) Pay for the Home Occupation Permit in Business and Licensing while applying for your Municipal Business License.

a. You will need to bring your WV Business Registration Certificate (other documents may be required).
b. Location:  City Hall, Main Floor, Room 20

5) You will be able to open for business once you have obtained a Municipal Business License. 

6) Both your Home Occupation Permit and your Municipal Business License are renewed yearly starting on July 1.