Business License

Anyone conducting business within the city limits needs to obtain a business license from the Finance Division.  Any entity that requires a WV Business Registration Certificate must obtain a Municipal Business License. The Business License Application will need to be completed and submitted to the Finance Division (please read information below for additional steps that may be needed). 

A business license is valid for one year starting from July 1 and ending June 30.  A business license renewal will be sent out around the first of June each year.  All business licenses expire on June 30th of each year.  Business license fees are not prorated.  

Below is a list of general information regarding the application process:

  • All applicants must have a valid West Virginia Business Registration Certificate from the WV State Tax Department prior to obtaining a Municipal Business License.
  • The WV State Tax Department is located at 1124 Smith Street, Charleston, WV 25301.  You can contact them by phone at 304.558.3333 or online at
  • The cost of a General Municipal Business License is $20.00.
  • **Exceptions include Contractors and Subcontractors, Real Estate, businesses selling alcohol, and businesses with Limited Video Lottery.
  • If you occupy a physical location within the City of Huntington you will need a Certificate of Occupancy to ensure the location is approved for the particular activity being licensed.
  • If you are working from your residence a Home Occupation Permit is required.
  • To begin this process you may contact our Planning Department at  800 5th Ave, Room 2, Huntington, WV 304.696.5540 (press option 3 for the Planning Department).
  • Contractors: All contractors, sub-contractors and electrical contractors must supply a copy of their WV State Contractor's License and a Certificate of General Liability Insurance with the City of Huntington as the Certificate Holder. Please go to Contractor and Subcontractor Requirements for additional information. 
  • Rental: Any person(s) who furnishes real property for lease or rent, which includes Class 4 Properties, for any purpose is required to obtain a Municipal Business License.